I was lucky enough to get invited out to supper last Tuesday evening with my pals. The recipes below are an approximation of what was served for dinner. I thought the sparkling Riesling from Prince Edward County’s The Grange, would be a delightful contribution. And it was. A dry, bright Ontario Riesling, light bodied and very pale straw colour. Flavours of white peach and green apple and the distinctive minerality that I love about PEC wines. I am a huge fan of this refreshing sparkling Riesling, having purchased it straight from the winery two years in a row.
slow cooker chicken pot pie on herbed biscuits recipetips.com
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cans (10.75 oz. each) cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small onion, minced or 2 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or water
- Container: 5 or 6-quart slow cooker
- Place the chicken breast on the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. Top with soup, butter, vegetables, and onion.
- Pour the chicken broth over the soup mixture. The chicken should be covered; if not, add more broth.
- Place the cover on the slow cooker and turn on high. Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Approximately 1 hour before serving, remove the cover and pull the chicken apart in small pieces or shred.
- Tear the refrigerator biscuit dough into pieces and place it on top of the chicken mixture in the slow cooker.
- Replace the cover and cook another hour or until the biscuits are done all the way through.
- To serve, spoon the chicken pot pie directly from the slow cooker onto the biscuits on plates.
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons salt
- 4teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 8tablespoons chilledshortening
- 4tablespoons chives, minced
- 4tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2cups buttermilk
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Add minced herbs.
- Stir in the eggs& buttermilk.
- Turn onto a floured surface& knead mixture briefly.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2″ thickness& cut into rounds.
- Bake on an ungreased baking pan at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes.